I originally had planned to take a rest day here in Grindelwald. But then flight schedules dictated eliminating it to keep on schedule. Today I decided to put it back in. The weather turned dangerously bad, so staying over a day was prudent. In addition, my feet and legs have taken such a beating on the downhill segments that they really needed a respite.
So, you see, those of my family and friends who have been telling me that this is not a race, and that a plan is just that – a plan – I have been listening to you!
I’m planning to give it a go in the morning but will have to be flexible. There has been a bit of snow in the mountains. I was expecting to encounter a little snow at the higher passes, but it has accumulated at lower elevations as well. But, the real problem is that about 500 to 1000 feet above Grindelwald, it is completely socked in with clouds.
It can be quite dangerous to go wandering around an unfamiliar mountain with little visibility. So, I’m going to have to take it slow and be safe, even if it throws me off schedule more. Going down a mountain in these conditions, especially with snow making the rocks slippery, can be particularly dicey. Hiking by myself compounds the risk. Truth is, it’s a good way to kill yourself, which happens a fair amount in the Alps, and I’m just going to have to be as safe as I can be. Frankly, most of the people who die in these circumstances do so because they do something stupid. I don’t intend to do that. There is no reason to take undue risks. So, for those of my family reading this, don’t worry – I’m not going to push it (for a change, huh?).
We will just have to see what tomorrow brings. But, I am packing tonight to be ready to start climbing right after breakfast.